Nov 1, 2009

Second Text

First off I just love how the chapter ended in the games chapter. What is really fun about getting frustrated and reading the guidelines books, which consumes much time? This chapter was very clear about how games can be good for the brain and somewhat bad. He emphasis the fact about how our society is losing it’s essence of reading. Compared to games, why be isolated when you can play and learn and read less with our peers. Then again reading is the powerful source that everyone needs. With T.V, we are learning to solve more complex issues, which cause’s our minds to think.

I agree with everything said about gaming and television. When watching TV, I do learn a lot even watching Sitcoms. I do choose to watch Intelligent shows such as the discovery Channel, Cold file cases etc. I know they are intelligent because they cause me to think which I learned from the reading. There are shows where you can just zone out and not think at all which does cause our minds to be lazy so in reality it depends on what you watch. Now when playing video games I honestly think it’s a good advantage. For example I have The Condemned for 360, which is a FBI type of game. They do not give any directions at all! So I feel more intense because I feel like if I die in the game then I died. It’s weird so the game is teaching me a lot about survival skills and I’m not using a guidebook because it’s a cheat. I want to challenge my mind.

Now when they both talk about reading, it caught me off guard a little because I really don’t read much when I’m watching TV or playing the game. I feel that these DRD are not taking away any of my abilities though. I do enjoy reading but everything does distract me and that’s probably what’s happening in our society. We are distracted by the entertainment around us which is more fun then sitting alone trying to concentrate on black words relaxing on a page. We just need to learn how to make our learning engaging to ourselves.

In feed I felt as if the Author was speaking negative about digital devices. He demonstrated through the characters that it was destroying us, which is the opposite of the arguments presented through the readings. I believe it is both negative and positive in our society. It’s how we choose it to be. Once again it’s about the choices we make.

No comments:

Post a Comment